Monday, August 11, 2003

Musikfest, The Rest of It / Brother @ The Sterling

Well, I'm a week late and quite a few bucks short (after my drinking at the Sterling Hotel) with this one. Basically, you're getting a couple of posts in one here. Sorry it took so long, though. They will be brief, as I'm tired.

Performers I will be reviewing:
Red Elvises
Cast in Bronze
Brother

First off, I should review the Red Elvises show. It was okay. I kind of expected something different. Not my type of band, I suppose. Regardless, I had to leave early. I wasn't feeling good that night.

Secondly, I promised a writeup for Cast in Bronze, as I went to see the Red Elvises at that time instead. Frank Dellapenna is musical genious. That sums it up right there. He's taken the beautiful sounds of the carillon and combined it with contemporary music. His rendition of "O Fortuna" is one of my favorites. You absolutely must hear this to appreciate it. It sounds great on the CDs, and even better live (even though he plays the other instruments pre-recorded... it's just him and his carillon when he's at Musikfest). If you check out his website, please take note that you must have RealPlayer (or one of the "alternatives") to play the samples.

Finally, we come to Brother. There's already enough dedicated reviewers and fansites for them. I won't go into a concert review, just the experience. Personally, I feel they were a lot better in the past. But as long as they keep me occupied for an hour or more, I'm a happy fan. Picked out their latest CD. Happy me. Had a blast at the Sterling, but I wanted to leave a couple times. Bands starting late can do that. I made it through though. (Couldn't finish my last drink. Damn I'm getting old.)